Motivations Ministries


Oh, Lord, to hear your voice and know what You would have me do.













Friday, August 20, 2010

Optimist or Pessimist?


In the long run, the pessimist may be proved to be right, but the optimist has a better time on the trip.

~  While visiting my 88-year-young Dad last week, I chuckled when he stated, "Getting old isn't for sissies."  Then I thought about it.  Over the last few years I've been surrounded by seniors--at Rob's Mother's senior home, and when I visit Dad at his senior home in Zion, Utah.  Upon my observation, I wonder why is it that some of the sweetest, kindest ladies and gentlemen grow up to be caddy old coots? Is it because they've been harboring those feelings inside for all those years, and now they don't even realize what they're saying?  It got me to thinking...what am I harboring inside that's going to pop out when I'm 85-years-old?  I better deal with it now so I can grow into the sweet, sassy, sex kitten that I've always wanted to be.

~ The saying what's on the inside when you're young will eventually come out when you're old began to scare me, so I went to visit my Aunt Eunice to find out her secret to growing old gracefully. As we sat drinking sweet tea and vodka on her front porch, she pointed down the sidewalk. "See that gorgeous lady walking down the street?"  I glanced at the bleached-blonde-roots-showing, pale-faced-washed-out 70-year-old woman limping down the street. "Are we looking at the same lady?" I asked.
Eunice looked me in the eyes. "Darlin', If you can practice saying to yourself, now that's a beautiful lady, then you won't have a problem growing old gracefully...trust me."  I haven't got the full picture of Aunt Eunice's logic yet, but as I practice making kind remarks each day, I'm finding it easier to believe my words.  Only time will tell if Aunt Eunice knows what she's talking about. Check back with me in 20 years.

~ There's much to be said about getting old. When we're young, we don't have time to think about it; when we're approaching middle age, we refuse to think about it; then as we reach our 60's, we're forced to think--and talk--about it.  Getting old can be scary, but I've learned from my Dad, that it's all in how you look at life.  He's had Parkinson's for years now, and he just returned from a river rafting trip!  What an example of living life to the fullest.  Thank you, Dad, for never giving up, for fighting the good fight.  You give me hope for my tomorrows.
~ I hope your having a WINning summer.  Autumn is almost here, so spend some time basking in the warmth of the sun while you can!

Put your hope in the Lord.  Travel steadily along His path.  Psalm 37:34 NLT
Picture of Aunt Eunice, Miss South Carolina 1946 (hat: from Sweden, jewels from Woolworth's). For more summer tips from Aunt Eunice, visit my blog at  www.sharonleaf.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment